Court of Appeal reserves decision in Malley case

  • Sep. 14, 2016 8:25 p.m.

Brian Malley

The Alberta Court of Appeal has reserved its decision on whether or not convicted murderer Brian Malley will get a new trial.

Malley, 57, had his appeal heard earlier today. It was initially scheduled for last fall and was put over to Jan. 6th before being adjourned to last May and rescheduled for Sept. 14th.

The Alberta Court of Appeal did not indicate when a decision regarding Malley’s request would be made.

On Feb. 24th, 2015 he was found guilty of first-degree murder, causing an explosion of an explosive substance likely to cause serious bodily harm, death or serious damage to property and sending or delivering to a person an explosive device in relation to the death of Victoria Shachtay in 2011.

Malley was sentenced to life in prison with no chance of parole for 25 years – an automatic sentence for a first-degree murder conviction. He was also sentenced to serve four years concurrently with the life sentence for the explosive charges he was convicted of – two years for each charge.

Meanwhile, Malley’s charges stem after an explosion occurred inside Shachtay’s Innisfail residence in November 2011. The incident occurred after a package disguised as a Christmas gift was delivered to the home which RCMP confirmed was the source of the explosion.

Malley was arrested in Red Deer on May 25th, 2012. Shachtay, 23, was disabled and in a wheelchair from a car collision that happened in 2004. She was also a single mother to a then seven-year-old girl.

Investigation showed Malley had known Shachtay for a number of years and acted as her financial adviser. Shachtay received a settlement of $575,000 after her accident. A $200,000 loan was also taken out on behalf of Shachtay. All of that money was gone within four years. Malley also supported her from his own personal account in the amount of $44,000. During the course of the six-week long trial, 50 witnesses testified and 100 exhibits were entered.

After the verdict was handed down former Crown Prosecutor Anders Quist said this case was one of the most cold-blooded that he has ever encountered. “The evidence shows him having worked on this bomb from July of 2011 to Nov. 25th of 2011. To carefully and methodically put those pieces together over that time with the intent to kill – that is pretty cold.”

efawcett@reddeerexpress.com

Just Posted

Counterfeit gold is on the rise in Red Deer

Shoppers being charged up to $500 for fake gold

Two-vehicle collision involved stolen vehicle in Red Deer

One driver transported to hospital, one arrested

WATCH: Food Truck Fridays are back in full swing

Red Deerians enjoy a variety of different foods

RDC introduces Justice Studies diploma to fill community gap

Forty students will begin studies in Fall 2018

WATCH: Alix holds 2nd annual Icebreaker Roughstock

Many come out to see some intense rodeo action

Federal leaders trade barbs about India trip at press gallery dinner

Justin Trudeau’s infamous trip to India earlier this year was the focus of many of the jabs

WestJet pilot strike averted as parties agree to mediation

Pilots had warned they could go on strike starting May 19

CP rail workers give strike notice

Employees could walk out as early as Tuesday at 7 p.m. PT

Vote points to abortion being legalized in Ireland

Voters asked whether to keep or repeal Eighth Amendment to Roman Catholic Ireland’s Constitution

Canadian soccer officials talk up World Cup bid at Champions League final

Current bid calls for 2026 World Cup games to be staged in the U.S., Canada and Mexico

B.C. RCMP swoop in to save injured eagle

An eagle with a broken wing now in a recovery facility after RCMP rescue near Bella Coola

Former B.C. premier says pot industry about to enter Wild West

Mike Harcourt says Canada is about to enter a new gold rush with many dreaming of striking it rich

Most Read