History of the Sylvan Lake pier

Michael Dawe

Although it has often not felt like it, spring and summer 2011 will soon be upon us. People will begin flocking to the Central Alberta resorts to enjoy the sun and summer.

One of the most popular resorts in our region, and in the province of Alberta as a whole, is Sylvan Lake. On a good summer’s day, literally thousands of tourists flock to the main beach along Lakeshore Drive.

To help accommodate these vast crowds, over the past years, a number of amenities have been developed at the site.

One of the first of those amenities was a pier to provide better access to the water for swimmers and boaters. In 1913, Joe McCluskey, who owned a large boathouse and ran a motorized touring boat, built a large pier into the Lake.

Many people freely used the McCluskey pier, but it was not without its challenges. The pier was made in sections and was often quite wobbly. At times, one of the sections would come lose and drop those walking across it into the water.

As Sylvan Lake became more and more popular, the newly formed Women’s Institute began a push to have a sturdier, public pier constructed. A key person in this effort was Mrs. Catherine Dingwall, who operated a boarding house with her husband James on what is now 46 (Sesame) St. (the current Hazzard County Inn).

The Dingwalls were well-connected politically. They were able to elicit support for the proposed W.I. pier from R.B. Bennett, national leader of the Conservative Party and a member of parliament from Calgary.

Normally, the leader of the opposition in Ottawa does not have a large influence on the decisions of the federal government. However, in the 1920’s, the national Liberals were governing in a minority.

Thus, Bennett, along with Alfred Speakman, Red Deer’s MP and a prominent member of the Progressive Party, were able to get the federal government to contribute funding to the project.

Nevertheless, with another federal election pending, Bennett was not going to pass on an opportunity to make political points with the completion of the new pier. Consequently, at the official opening ceremonies on July 18, 1928, it was R.B. Bennett who cut the ribbon.

Assistance was also provided by George Wilbert Smith, the local MLA who represented the provincial government and Alfred Speakman, the local MP.

In 1938, another pier was built out from the end of Main Street. It was connected to the W.I. pier with a cross pier, lined with benches so that people could sit and enjoy the views of the lake.

Ice damage was an ongoing problem. In 1951, the piers were badly damaged in the spring break-up. While interim repairs were done, the federal government constructed a new pier in 1953.

This new structure also frequently suffered ice damage.

A major portion had to be rebuilt in 1958 and 1959. On-going damage and the continuing problems of rot finally resulted in only one section of the pier remaining.

In 1971, a decision was made to remove the last of the old pier.

To many people’s surprise, instead of constructing a new traditional pier, a large “landfill” was constructed instead.

Work was completed in 1973 by the North American Road Company at a cost of $150,000. Funding came from both the provincial and federal governments.

While the landfill pier was controversial, it has proved to be much more permanent than the traditional wooden piers that preceded it.

Almost 40 years later, it remains intact and a well-used attraction.

Moreover, this summer, an extensive reconstruction and refurbishment of the provincial park, along the main beach, is scheduled for completion. Thus, there will be a brand new set of amenities for the tens of thousands wishing to enjoy Sylvan Lake this summer.

Just Posted

WATCH: Mellisa Hollingsworth highlights Special Olympics Celebrity Breakfast

Olympic Bronze Medalist from Central Alberta shared her journey with a packed house

Court full as schools, parents dispute Alberta gay-straight alliance law

Justice Centre argues keeping parents out of the loop violates freedom of religion and expression

Marijuana to be legal in Canada Oct. 17: Trudeau

Prime Minister made the announcement during question period in the House of Commons

WATCH: Over 10,000 lbs of pet food given out to help Red Deer’s vulnerable

Alberta Animal Services and Red Deer Food Bank’s Kitchen Kibble will feed hundreds

Local coalition seeks to bolster youngsters’ development

‘Strengthening Positive Assets Resiliency in Communities’ supports local families

In reversal, Trump signs executive order to stop family separation

President had been wrongly insisting he had no choice but to separate families apprehended at border

Humboldt survivors to attend NHL Awards

Players say it’s a blessing to be back together again

Justice minister: marijuana still illegal for now

Driving under the influence of drugs has always been — and will remain — against the law

Crown recommends 150 years for Quebec mosque shooter

Crown lawyers say Alexandre Bissonnette deserves to receive the longest sentence in Canadian history

192 missing after ferry sinks in Indonesia

Divers are searching an Indonesian lake after a ferry sank earlier this week

No clear plan yet on how to reunite parents with children

A lawyer has documented more than 300 cases of adults who have been separated from a child

Senate officially passes Canada’s marijuana legalization bill

Bill C-45 now moves to royal assent, which is the final step in the legislative process

New GOP plan: Hold kids longer at border – but with parents

Move would ease rules that limit how much time minors can be held with their parents

Without a big data strategy, Canadians at risk of being ‘data cows’

Presentation said artificial intelligence could give Facebook and Amazon even more power

Most Read