Murder suspect still at large

  • Jan. 16, 2013 3:59 p.m.

No arrests have been made in the City’s first homicide of the year.

Last week, the RCMP took an unusual step to name the suspect, who is a young offender, and who has been charged with first-degree murder in the death of Lloyd Robert Sarson, 25.

The RCMP was granted a court order, which lasted five days that allowed them to release the suspect’s name and photo to the public in hopes the suspect would be found. That court order has since expired and the suspect can no longer be identified.

“This is only the second time in my 25 years that this has happened,” said Supt. Warren Dosko. “It is a rare step.”

The body of Sarson, of no fixed address, was located in a vehicle in the alley of the 3700 block of 50th St. after RCMP responded to a complaint of a disturbance about 5:35 a.m. on New Year’s Day.

On Jan. 2nd an autopsy was performed on the deceased. The medical examiner’s report has identified the cause and manner of death as gunshot wounds.

The investigation suggests that this homicide does not appear to be a random act and that the suspect and victim knew each other.

Dosko said the suspect is also known to City police.

“The suspect is still outstanding and we are still looking for the suspect,” said RCMP Cpl. Leanne Molzahn.

Anyone with any information that may assist the police are asked to call Red Deer City RCMP at 403-343-5575. Those wishing to remain anonymous can call Crime Stoppers at 1-800-222-8477 or report it online at www.tipsubmit.com.

efawcett@reddeerexpress.com

Just Posted

Archived stories and photos from past years hosted on this website

Red Deer Express closed its doors March 27 - current local news, sports, entertainment and community stories still available through the Red Deer Advocate daily newspaper

B.C. prepared if Alberta shuts off fuel supplies, David Eby says

If B.C. continues pipeline battle, ‘we’ll finish it,’ Alberta’s Jason Kenney vows

Most Read