Further delays in hunting death case

  • Sep. 10, 2014 4:58 p.m.

The case of a Lacombe resident accused of shooting a man during a hunting trip in 2009 has had further delays.

The trial for Herbert Meister, who is charged with criminal negligence using a firearm, unauthorized possession of a firearm and criminal negligence causing death, was expected to take place last week. Last Thursday, his lawyer Balfour Der, said Meister was expected to make a plea, but because of a change in the crown prosecutor’s office, more time was needed to ensure both himself and the new crown had all of the information needed to proceed. Crown Prosecutor Robin Snider was previously assigned the case, which has now been handed to Bina Border.

On Monday, a new date for resolution was set. The case will now be heard on Nov. 4th.

The hunting incident in which the charges stem from took place on Nov. 29th, 2009. At the time police said a group of four males from the Bentley and Lacombe area, were hunting deer on a heavily wooded field, approximately 13 kms northwest of Bentley.

All four were hunting in different locations on the same property, which was owned by one of the hunters. RCMP said one of the shooters believed he saw a deer about 300 metres down a cut line and took a shot with a .308 calibre rifle.

Police said the hunter waited one minute, saw more movement and fired a second shot. At this time he heard a “very strange” noise and knew something was wrong, said RCMP.

The hunter raced to the site to find his hunting partner suffering from a gunshot wound to the abdomen. First aid and CPR was performed by the shooter from instructions of a 911 dispatcher.


Just Posted

Lacombe Generals punch their ticket to Allan Cup

6-1 win over Stony Plain finishes off series in 5 games

Local Legions will be presenting the award-winning play Jake’s Gift

Acclaimed play has received rave reviews from critics and audience members alike

WATCH: What’s Up Wednesday – March 21st

A summary of the week’s news

Innisfail RCMP arrests two

Suspects attempted to flee but their vehicle got stuck in the snow

WATCH: What’s Up Wednesday – March 21st

A summary of the week’s news

Liberals awarded $100,000 contract to man at centre of Facebook data controversy

Christopher Wylie says his voter-profiling company collected private information from 50 million Facebook users

Starbucks to unveil latest creation: crystal ball frappuccino

The limited-edition drink will be available starting March 22

Two arrested in Leduc County after Thorsby RCMP drive by rural break-in in progress

Thorsby RCMP prevent break and enter, find other stolen property

Liberals tried pilot project with Facebook data whistleblower in 2016: source

Cambridge Analytica has been accused of improperly using information from more than 50 million Facebook accounts

No opting out: Canadians to get emergency alerts on their phones soon

Canada’s wireless providers are preparing for a looming update to the National Public Alerting System

Texas bombing suspect blows himself up as SWAT moves in

The suspect in a spate of bombing attacks that have terrorized Austin over the past month blew himself up with an explosive device as authorities closed in

Witnesses: Boko Haram returns Nigerian kidnapped schoolgirls

Witnesses say Boko Haram militants have returned an unknown number of the 110 girls who were abducted from their Nigeria school a month ago.

Alberta budget plans for Trans Mountain expansion

Finance Minister Joe Ceci says expected revenues will be factored into budget forecasts

Most Read