Fire safety during Christmas season

  • Dec. 21, 2011 3:55 p.m.

With Christmas around the corner, Red Deer Emergency Services is reminding residents about home safety in relation to fire.

Fires in residential homes increase on average 30% from Dec. 15-31.

Fire fighters were recently called to a home in the City where they had difficulty reaching the seat of the fire. As conditions worsened an explosion occurred that briefly trapped five firefighters inside the building.

Fortunately they all escaped, however a second explosion occurred, injuring a fire fighter on the outside. The bedroom in the basement did not have a window and that made fire fighting extremely difficult.

To prevent further injury to fire fighters the fire was then fought from the outside until it was controlled to a point that a crew could safely enter and extinguish the remaining fire. Fortunately, there were no occupants home at the time of the fire; however, the home suffered severe damage. 

Red Deer Emergency Services would like to inform the citizens of Red Deer that the Alberta Building Code requires windows in all bedrooms so that in the event of an emergency a second way out is available. 

Some of the common causes during this time of year include smoking, which is one of the most common causes of fire death in the home.

Officials urged residents to be sure ashes are completely cooled before emptying them into the trash. Also, before you go to bed, check seat cushions where smokers have been sitting. The cushions may be smoldering and can ignite when you’re asleep.

Place candles away from anything that could catch fire, and put them in

sturdy non-combustible holders where they will not be knocked down, and well away from drafts, curtains, children and pets.

Finally, cooking fires are one of the leading causes of home fires and home fire injuries, these fires often occur when people leave their cooking unattended.