Cell phone content admissibility argued

Nathan Desharnais is charged with second degree murder and offering indignity to human remains

  • Jan. 27, 2017 11:23 p.m.

Court continued with a voir dire on Friday during the murder trial of Nathan Desharnais.

Desharnais is charged with second degree murder and offering indignity to human remains after the body of Talia Nellie Meguinis, 27, was found at a recycling facility in the Riverside Industrial area on Feb. 22nd, 2012.

Two days of the trial took place last October in which a voir dire was held. A voir dire is a hearing within a trial to determine the admissibility of evidence. Today’s voir dire was in regards to the admissibility of evidence of a cell phone.

Defense lawyer Patty MacNaughton has argued the evidence from the cell phone is not admissible to the trial as it was obtained through an unlawful search and seizure.

Don Lee, a civilian member of the RCMP and tech crimes analyst, testified he received the cell phone in questions from the RCMP in June 2012 and was instructed to analyze it.

“I did not see a search warrant for this phone. The search was incidental to an arrest,” said Lee, adding he did not access it right away because it was password protected so it was placed into an exhibit locker.

Lee said in June 2013 he took the phone from the locker and was able to bypass the password and extract information. He said a report was completed regarding the analysis on July 2nd, 2013.

MacNaughton questioned Lee about whether or not a search warrant needed to be obtained prior to accessing the phone.

“There was a change in law later on that says a search warrant is needed. We received an email from the sergeant (about this),” said Lee, adding this was not in place during the time that he searched the cell phone in June 2013.

Michael Plaxton, an expert digital image analyst who works for the Hamilton RCMP also testified on Friday.

He said that he was asked by the RCMP to examine images off of two CDs. One CD had images of the autopsy and the second CD had images from two different cell phones. He said he was also asked to compare blankets in which seven images of a blanket with a dragon were provided to him.

“The four images from a cellphone were of a young woman, unclothed, lying on her back with a man’s penis positioned over her vagina,” said Plaxton, adding the photos were taken between 1:50 a.m. and 1:52 a.m. on Feb. 20th, 2012.

As of press time, the justice had not made a decision regarding the admissibility of the cell phone evidence.

The trial is expected to run through to mid-February.

Just Posted

Canadian legends Sloan coming to Bo’s Bar and Grill

Band to feature new album featuring single The Day Will be Mine

WATCH: Women’s Emergency Shelter holds 24th annual fundraising dinner

About 600 women and children used the Central Alberta Women’s Emergency Shelter last year

Central Albertans encouraged to provide submissions for ‘The Mics Awards Show’

Prestigious event, set for May, honours youth in the arts

Generals power through Game 3, winning 7-2

Seven-game series continues Saturday in Stony Plain

Cilantro and Chive wins big at 2018 Alberta Beer Awards

Lacombe business takes home top honours for Pub/Restaurant of the Year

WATCH: 12th Annual Red Deer Collector Car Auction sees many

Lots of different cars to see all weekend at Westerner Park

4 facts to ring in St. Patrick’s Day

What do you really know about the Irish celebration?

PHOTOS: Team Tanner takes in northern lights in Yellowknife

The aurora borealis and storm hunters photograph Yellowknife’s picturesque night skies

Search continues for 10-year-old Montreal boy missing since Monday

Montreal police said they are exploring every possibility in search for Ariel Jeffrey Kouakou

Airline passenger-rights bill claws back protections for travellers: Advocate

Bill C-49 would double tarmac delays, scrap compensation for flights affected by mechanical failures

UPDATED: ‘New wave’ of anti-pipeline protests return to Trans Mountain facility

About 100 demonstrators with Protect the Inlet marched to the Burnaby terminal Saturday

Canadian survivors, supporters rally against proposed ’60s Scoop settlement

Some have accused the government of underestimating the number of survivors

Nordic athlete Arendz to be Canada’s flagbearer at Paralympic closing ceremony

The biathlete and cross-country skier from Hartsville has raced to five medals in Pyeongchang

Progress on fixing Phoenix pay system backlog could be short-lived: Ottawa

Feds have said they won’t try to recover money overpaid until all outstanding issues are fixed

Most Read