Red Deer RCMP are warning the public to take precautions when dealing with door to door salespeople after receiving complaints of citizens facing high-pressure sales tactics from companies that do not have a business license to sell in Red Deer. RCMP have received numerous complaints recently about salespeople using high-pressure sales tactics while attempting to sell attachments for water meters.
Some callers have reported that these salespeople claim to have an affiliation with the City of Red Deer, and others report that the salespeople have requested voided cheques and taken photographs of residents’ current water and gas bills; one citizen reported a request to photograph their tax bill.
Reports from the public have indicated the salespeople may have claimed to represent companies called ‘Go Green’ and ‘Eco Global’.
The City of Red Deer Inspections & Licensing department has confirmed with Red Deer RCMP that these businesses do not have a license to sell door to door in Red Deer.
All door to door salespeople in Red Deer are required to carry photo identification and a license issued by the City of Red Deer. When in doubt, residents should call Inspections & Licensing at 403-342-8182 to confirm if a business is licensed to sell door to door in Red Deer.
· Do not let strangers into your home unless they have displayed all the proper business and City of Red Deer paperwork; even then, it is always your right to refuse to allow them entry.
· Never provide personal information (bank account information, bills, SIN, date of birth, credit card numbers or PIN) at the door or over the phone, unless you have initiated the business relationship.
· Do background research to ensure the business is reputable before giving them any money or any personal information.
· Do not let people at your door pressure you to make an immediate decision – if it’s a legitimate offer, it will still be there tomorrow.
· Be aware that offers of ‘free’ inspections are usually an attempt to get into your home and are a lead up to a sales pitch – often an aggressive one.
· If someone is in your home and refusing to leave, call the RCMP complaint line at 403-343-5575.
See www.reddeer.ca for more information on business licenses.