History of Red Deer Children’s Library

On Nov. 8th, the new book, More Than Cobwebs and Dust, written by Laural Randall and illustrated by Lorlie Vuori, was officially launched at the Red Deer Public Library.

The book was written to celebrate the centennial of the Library and to provide a highly readable history of the current children’s wing of the Library.

Somewhat ironically, the Children’s Library was originally constructed for military purposes. It was initially the regimental headquarters for the 35 Central Alberta Horse. As the major military facility in Central Alberta, it was built in an impressive style.

Red tapestry brick and carved sandstone were used as finishing features.

Twin medieval style battlement towers were placed on the east end for offices and officer quarters. The cost of the structure was $50,000, a considerable sum at a time when $2 per day was considered a pretty good wage.

Shortly after the Armouries were completed, the First World War broke out in the summer of 1914. The building became a hub of frenzied activity as it served as a recruitment and training centre for the hundreds of young men who rushed to enlist and serve ‘King and Country’.

Despite what initially appeared to be the Armouries’ impressive size, the facility quickly proved to be too small.

There was not enough room in the building to provide meals for the men. Consequently, they were marched down Ross Street to the Commercial (later the Club) Café for their meals. A large row of outhouses were constructed next to the Armouries, on the east side of 48 Ave. to provide toilet facilities for the soldiers.

Eventually, most of the training of the men was shifted to the Red Deer Fairgrounds on the southeast corner of the valley.

However, senior officers continued to be quartered in the Armouries. The west side continued to serve as a drill hall. The basement had a large rifle range.

After the end of the War, the Armouries continued to be used by the Department of Militia for training and administrative offices. The building also became a major community centre with many dances and other social events being held there.

The Armouries became a recruitment headquarters during the Second World War, although most training took place at the A-20 military training camp, north of 55 St.

The Armouries was a training and administrative facility again after the end of the War. It also continued to be a popular community and recreational centre.

In 1961, the Red Deer Fire Department moved from its cramped quarters in the old City Hall into the Armouries. Ironically, as the building was being transferred from the Department of National Defense to the City, a major fire broke out, seriously damaging the east end of the building.

In the early 1990s, the Fire Hall was relocated to a new facility. The Library acquired the building for use as a proposed Children’s Library.

However, the project faced significant challenges because of major spending cutbacks by all levels of government. Fortunately, an impressive and highly successful public fundraising drive was launched with Hazel Flewwelling as the head of the committee.

As the fundraising campaign was underway, the building was used by the Library as the Fire Hall Fun Factory, with many popular and innovative activities for children and the public in general. Finally, the conversion project was completed. The Children’s Library officially opened on Sept. 17th, 1995.

The Children’s Library flourished as an important activity and learning centre for children and youth. The huge crowds that flocked through the facility during the Festival Lights The Night event on Nov. 22nd are but one indication of the ongoing popularity and success of the Red Deer Public Library.

The book, More Than Cobwebs and Dust, can be purchased from the Public Library for only $15 and would make a wonderful Christmas present.

Just Posted

Pop Evil hits the stage at Bo’s Nov. 25th

Acclaimed band is touring in support of self-titled disc released early this year

UPDATE: Red Deer RCMP arrest man involved in fatal hit and run

RCMP flew to Nipawin, Sask. to arrest Tosh Vertraeten

Oh What a Night! celebrates iconic American legends

Frankie Valli and Andy Williams honoured during Red Deer show

Red Deer Lights the Night gets residents into the holiday spirit

Free winter festival is on Saturday, Nov. 17th from 4 to 7 p.m.

First Nation marks ‘milestone’ land deal at Alberta ceremony

Lubicon Lake First Nation Chief Billy-Joe Laboucan signed treaty last month

EU divorce deal in peril after two UK Cabinet ministers quit

Negotiators from Britain and the European Union have struck a proposed divorce deal that will be presented to politicians on both sides for approval, officials in London and Brussels said Tuesday.

Northern California fire death toll at 56; 130 missing

Many of the missing are elderly and from Magalia, a forested town of about 11,000 to the north of Paradise.

Canfor to buy 70 per cent stake in Swedish Vida Group for $580 million

The privately held company has nine sawmills in southern Sweden with an annual production capacity of 1.1 billion board feet.

Saudi prosecutor seeks death penalty in Khashoggi’s killing

Saudi Arabia’s top prosecutor is recommending the death penalty for five suspects charged with ordering and carrying out the killing of Saudi writer Jamal Khashoggi.

Mixing business and family: Trudeau turns to Singapore ancestors to widen trade

Trudeau’s ancestor, Esther Bernard, born Farquhar (1796-1838) was the daughter of Major-General William Farquhar (1774-1839), the first British Resident and Commandant of Singapore.

Baloney Meter: Will tougher penalties for gang members make Canada safer?

Since 2013, gang-related homicides in Canada’s largest cities have almost doubled

Early data suggests no spike in pot-impaired driving after legalization: police

Some departments said it’s too early to provide data, others said initial numbers suggest stoned driving isn’t on the rise

Humans reshaping evolutionary history of species around the globe: paper

University of British Columbia researcher had the paper published in the Proceedings of the Royal Society

Most Read