Weighing in on Ontario’s fight rules

  • Oct. 31, 2012 3:12 p.m.

The Ontario Hockey League is taking some bold steps when it comes to one of the most controversial aspects of hockey.

The OHL introduced a rule which suspends players who reach 10 fights in a season and it seems to have had an impact as the latest numbers show fighting is down over 30% this year after five weeks of play.

The staged fight is the first issue the rule addresses and for many it’s a tough call as you can’t deny the buzz which goes through a rink when two tough guys decided to settle a score, real or imagined.

The other area this rule is designed to address is one I think some fans, coaches and players could be pleased with.

We have seen it right here in our own Enmax Centrium when young Mathew Dumba levels an opposing player with a clean, thunderous open ice body check and right away he has to drop the mitts to do battle.

It used to be a clean, hard hit was accepted as part of the game but now the response in more cases than not is a fight.

Under the OHL rule the player starting the fight gets nailed but the player defending himself won’t have the fight registered as part of his 10 fight total.

Some of the fallout from the 10 fight rule might be how players take to the game later in the year when they are close to their fight limit.

Does this mean a player won’t come to the aid of a teammate during a game because it might cost him the rest of the season?

Would coaches use the knowledge of which player is close to their fight limit to take liberties with other players because the enforcer on the other side might be instructed to not get involved?

Removing fighting from the game is not the point of this rule according to those in the know.

It’s more of a control measure to be put in place to lessen the fights started by the one-dimensional players which many teams have on their roster.

It will be interesting to see how this plays out over the season and if other leagues decide to go the same route.

sports@reddeerexpress.com

Just Posted

Red Deer Mayor Tara Veer discusses thoughts on federal budget

New federal infrastructure funding likely coming to Red Deer

Alberta Election called for April 16th

Upcoming election will be about who is fit to be Premier, says Notley

Red Deer athletes qualify for Pan Am Games in Lima, Peru

The official Pan American Games will be held from July 26th to Aug. 11th

Local youngsters lend a helping hand to the Red Deer Hospital

First Steps and Beyond School students donate to Neonatal Intensive Care Unit

Red Deer RCMP arrest man during break and enter in progress

RCMP found two males in the parking garage attempting to steal a vehicle

Five highlights in the 2019 federal budget

Latest budget includes a sprinkling of money for voters across a wide spectrum

Politicians hitting the road for votes in Alberta election campaign

NDP Leader Rachel Notley and United Conservative Leader Jason Kenney have officially launched campaigns

Calgary woman convicted in son’s strep death seeking full parole

The trial heard that Ryan was dead well before his mother called 911 to say he had stopped breathing

Starbucks to test recyclable cups, redesign stores in B.C., U.S. cities

The company also said it plans to redesign its stores as it adapts to increasing mobile pick-up and delivery orders

In pre-election budget, Liberals boost infrastructure cash to cities, broadband

The budget document says the Liberals have approved more than 33,000 projects, worth about $19.9 billion in federal financing

2019 BUDGET: As deficit grows, feds spend on job retraining, home incentives

Stronger economy last year delivered unexpected revenue bump of an extra $27.8 billion over six years

Newfoundland man caught after posting photo of himself drinking and driving

The 19-year-old took a photo of himself holding a beer bottle and cigarette while at the wheel

Here are five political leaders campaigning in Alberta’s spring election

Rachel Notley, Jason Kenney, Stephen Mandel, David Khan, and Derek Fildebrandt

UPDATE Leduc RCMP say sexual assault claim was false

UPDATE Leduc RCMP say investigation revealed sexual assault never took place

Most Read